Are you seeking a natural-looking and secure way to replace a missing tooth? Do you currently have traditional removable dentures but find them to be uncomfortable and inconvenient? A missing tooth can impact more than just the appearance of your smile; a gap in your teeth can lead to more complicated – and costly – dental problems in the future. Even patients with traditional dentures often experience irritation or slippage along the gum line and may have difficulty chewing or speaking with ease. With dental implants, you can significantly improve the form and function of your teeth, boost your confidence, and maintain a beautiful smile that can last for decades.
What Are The Benefits Of Dental Implants?
Dental implants consist of a small titanium rod that serves as an artificial tooth root as well as a porcelain cap that is custom-made to match the surrounding teeth for a seamless smile. These titanium rods eventually fuse to the jawbone, providing exceptional support and making these dental restorations a permanent part of your mouth. Each dental implant feels and functions just like a natural tooth and requires zero extra maintenance. You can brush and floss your teeth without the need for the messy adhesives or pastes necessitated by traditional dentures. This treatment also offers patients increased chewing ability and improved speech, as well as a healthy, natural-looking smile.
Am I A Candidate For Dental Implants?
During the consultation, your dentist will perform a comprehensive oral exam as well as review your medical history to ensure you are eligible for dental implants. At The Art of Dentistry, patients of all ages have successfully improved their smiles with dental implants. In general, good candidates for the procedure exhibit the following:
- Missing one or more teeth
- Adequate jawbone density to support the implant
- Generally healthy gum tissue
- No medical conditions that could interfere with proper healing
- Not currently undergoing chemotherapy or radiation
Some patients with insufficient jawbone density may be candidates for implant-supported dentures or jawbone grafting prior to the dental implant procedure. If you are not considered a candidate for implant surgery, Dr. Rutherford will help you find an alternative solution that can improve both your oral function and smile aesthetics. To discover if you are a candidate for dental implants, please schedule a consultation today.
Dental Implant Options
The dental implant procedure can be performed for a variety of needs. Whether you’re missing a single tooth, multiple teeth, or all of your teeth, Dr. Rutherford can help you find a long-lasting replacement. While some patients may be eligible for an implant to replace each missing tooth, others may be better candidates for dental implants that support a multiple-tooth restoration. In general, our team offers three different types of dental implant options: single tooth implants, fixed bridges, and implant-supported dentures.
- Single Tooth Implants: A single tooth implant is intended to replace each individual tooth that is severely damaged or already missing. These implants are positioned to maximize functionality, and the custom porcelain crowns are designed and color-matched to blend seamlessly with your natural smile.
- Fixed Bridges: A fixed bridge is ideal for those with several adjacent teeth missing, as the dental implant works to support crowns on each side. A fixed bridge may be an ideal solution for patients who do not have adequate jawbone density for multiple dental implants.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: For patients missing all of their teeth, a full mouth reconstruction using implant-supported dentures can be life-changing. This involves replacing both arches of teeth by anchoring custom-made prostheses with strategically placed implants. Implant-supported dentures offer numerous advantages compared to traditional dentures. Benefits include greater support, increased comfort, no slippage, and the elimination of messy adhesives.
All of these implant options provide a more permanent solution compared to traditional restorations, like removable bridges and dentures. As a result, they can help you achieve a more natural-looking smile and enhanced oral function.
Dental Implants Procedure
The first step of the dental implants procedure is surgically placing the titanium rod or rods into the jaw. Once the jaw has healed and these artificial tooth roots have fused to the jawbone, custom-crafted porcelain crowns are attached to the implants, providing a long-lasting restoration for missing teeth. Dental implants can replace any tooth you may be missing, anchor a set of dentures for increased stability, or even enable you to get rid of a denture or partial entirely and have “real,” permanent teeth again!
Dental Implants Recovery
The total recovery time will vary depending upon the complexity of the dental implant procedure, including the total number of implants. After the titanium post is implanted in the gum line, this artificial tooth root will fuse to the jawbone over the course of the next 4-6 months. During this time, a temporary crown can be worn to fill the space of the missing tooth.
Most patients can return to work the same day as their dental implant procedure when receiving a single implant. If you are receiving more than one implant, Dr. Rutherford can provide information about the duration of your recovery based upon the customized treatment plan. Dr. Rutherford also recommends patients avoid chewing in the area of the mouth with the implant whenever possible for about one week.
Patients who experience mild discomfort can easily manage this side effect with oral pain medication. Once the titanium post has completely fused to the jawbone, the permanent crown can be attached, and your new smile will be complete.
How Much Do Dental Implants Cost?
Since each dental implant procedure is customized to suit the needs and expectations of the patient, there is no one set price. There are a variety of factors that can influence the final cost of the dental implant procedure, including:
- Digital x-rays and 3D imaging for the planning of a custom treatment plan
- Total number of dental implants needed
- Location of implants
- Complexity of treatment plan
- Laboratory costs for the creation of custom crowns
- Skill and experience of the cosmetic dentist
- Geographic location of the practice
During the consultation process, Dr. Rutherford will perform an oral exam, review your medical history, and determine your candidacy for dental implants. At the end of that initial consultation, Dr. Rutherford can provide you with an accurate quote for the cost of your dental implants procedure. For patients who are seeking ways to comfortably afford the cost of dental implants, we offer a number of financing options with low monthly payments and low interest rates.
Contact The Art Of Dentistry
To learn more about dental implants, please contact The Art of Dentistry today. Our staff will be happy to provide you with more information, as well as help you schedule a private consultation with Dr. Rutherford.